Dr. Sheryl Brahnam's Professional Activities
"Hello, my name is S Berlin Brahnam (I publish under Sheryl Brahnam) and this website presents a summary of my professional activities. I am a computer scientist and psychoanalyst. Short lists of my research and teaching interests are provided below. Detailed documents are accessible above."
My Research Interests
- Artificial intelligence and computer vision: biometrics, (face recognition, person re-identification, action classification, palm, fingerprint, ear identificatoin), texture descriptors, general-purpose ensemble systems, neonatal pain detection, and deep learning.
- Modeling and simulation: smart embodiment (facial attribution modeling and synthesis).
- Cultural and ethical aspects of technology: conflict management among IT staff; gender and IT; trauma studies; anthropomorphism; presence; the abuse and misuse—including the creative misuse—of interactive technologies; feminist HCI; virtual reality psychotherapies; technologies of well-being; wearables; and experiments in new media and sound art.
- Rhetoric and conversational agents: ethos as it applies to computer interfaces, especially conversational agents.
- Psychoanalysis: psychoanalysis and technology, and Lacanian psychoanalytic theory.
- Management Information Systems
- Programming Languages: C++, JAVA, Visual Basic, PHP, MATLAB, PYTHON